Friday, July 9

Northward bound...

Well, I've spent the last few days in a small town near Hamilton called Waterdown, with two of my father's cousins (does that make them my second cousins or first cousins once removed? I can never keep that straight). I've always gotten along with them very well, much more so than a lot of my more immediate family. It was good to see them and to rest for a few days before heading towards Northern Ontario, which I'm hoping to cross by the end of next week. I'll probably make a few short stops around Sudbury before heading for Thunder Bay, taking a break for two or three days, then finishing this leg of the trip by heading for Winnipeg. Tonight I doubt I'll get much farther than Barrie.

I ended up hitching from Ottawa to Toronto on Tuesday, after missing the bus and taking into account for the nice weather (sorry Debbie, I know it's dangerous...). In the end I made better time than if I'd waited for the next bus. One of the people that picked me up was an old hippie lady, which made for interesting conversation. She was telling me about all the positive energy she'd been feeling going into this trip, and how she was still trying to figure out exactly where she wanted to go. She was heading west, which was pretty much the full extent of her plans. But then again, I can't say that I'm much more organized.

I'd ramble on for a while longer, but I'm at a (fairly expensive) internet cafe, so I'll cut things off here. But before I do, don't be shy about leaving comments, it makes doing these a lot more fun :)

ian.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Ian, t'is I Davie of some body part. I have but one question for you, how much is this trip costing you? Do you have bottomless, spontaneously self-replenishing money pits hidden all around Canada?

Your father's cousin is definitely not your second cousin. When saying 1st/2nd/3rd/... cousin, you are actually of the same generation. So your cousin (1st cousin) shares the same grandparents as you but your second cousin shares the same great grandparents and so on. Consider it as being at the same generational level but horizontally becoming farther and farther away with an increasing number.

Adding "removed" means that you are separated by a generation, either upwards or downwards. Since your father's cousins are one generation above you, they are once removed. Consider this as being higher or lower by a certain under of levels.

Now comes the tricky part by combining these two confusing terms.

Turns out that your father's cousins are in fact your first cousins once removed. I already explained the once removed but why are you still first cousins? You certainly do not share the same grandparents as your father's cousin.

I have no bloody idea but here's my theory. The once removed basically means that IF you were your father's cousin (instead of his son) you would've shared the same grandparents as your father's actual cousin. Since you're not your father's cousin (you're his son), you take the first cousin designation and then add/subtract the generational difference of once removed.

There you go.

11:30 p.m.  
Blogger Eugenie said...

Holy crap, that explanation was thorough... I'm with Ian here on the confusion factor.

1:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you just call you father's cousin an uncle? Maybe a "second uncle"? Makes things easier to understand.

(cr)Dave.

4:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian. Sue here. On the whole cousin issue...Sandy and Jan are your first cousins, once removed. They are first cousins to you because they are first cousins to your dad and once removed is due to the generational thing. Which makes me your second cousin, because I am the child of said 1st cousin. Whatever, I just say we're related and leave it there.

I am liking the blog, it reminds me of sitting on the deck listening to you talk. You are almost as interesting on screen as in real life, so it works for me.

Travel safe, be interesting and we'll see ya on your return trip.

5:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One, one comment! Two, two comments! Three, three comments! Four, four comments! Five, five comments! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (For this to be fully effective, you must imagine that I'm short and purple, have pointed ears and teeth, and like to suck. http://www.hellfire.com/versus/TheSongOfTheCount.html)

Anyway, I'm glad to read you're having fun and relaxing. Keep the updates coming. I, too, was going to give you information about yourself and your cousins. However, I'm sure you can already imagine what that is, so I'll spare you.

Lastly, I've a confession: I cheated on her. And I liked it. Again and again, I kept coming back for more. To Second Cup, that is. I'm so ashamed.

10:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home