Monday, June 19

Shadows

I've spent more time in Halifax than I originally planned. I've been taking things one day at a time, since I'm not in any major rush.

Shortly after I got back, I saw Michael again, the friend from high school that I met up with in London the week before. He was running errands with his finance. They were leaving for the Yukon in a few days, where they're planning on getting married. He invited me to a party at the end of the week, which happened to coincide with my birthday. As I didn't have any special plans, aside from hanging out with my cousins, I brought them along to meet up with the rest of his friends.

In the end it turned into a bit of a high school reunion. It's amazing how much we've all changed. Although I wasn't very close to most of the people there, it was interesting to see how much old social circles had broken down. Most people have moved on from Halifax in the last several years, much like myself. Although some expect to come back in a few years.

Aside from that, most of my time has been spent either taking care of some loose ends [renewing my driver's licence, reactivating my health care, going to the dentist, etc, etc] or seeing family.

I've been staying at my uncle Dougie's place, which has been the first time in a while that I've had a room to myself for more than a couple of days.

The night before last, I hung out with Charles, whom I met in Alicante, Spain. Also from Montreal, he was studying Spanish at the same time as myself, but at a different school. And now he's working in Halifax for the summer. Strange how paths can cross so many times in such a period.

Also, I spent a bit of time with Candace, one of the few friends from Halifax that I've kept in touch with over the years. She's a great artist, and one of the people that first inspired me to start drawing. I worked on a drawing of my mother as a gift for my grandmother recently, which was the first time I've drawn anything in almost a year. Unfortunately I didn't have time to scan it before giving it to her.

I added some pictures of my time in Alicante. They can be seen at http://www.couchsurfing.com/image_gallery.html?id=400346 under Alicante.

I'm running out of things to write about, and am a bit low on time, as the bus to New Brunswick is leaving in a few hours. So I'll stop before things get a bit too mundane...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian - are you still in New Brunswick? I live in Saint John, if you will be passing through send me an email, I'd love to show you around.

Why? Because I've travelled a lot myself and love a chance to return what so many ppl have given to me during my trips. AND I've recently been to a number of the same places as you have blogged about...it would be neat to talk to you.

I don't want to post my email here, it will probably get picked up by spambots, but if you visit my website you can find my email address on the contact page. http://www.getromantic.com

1:36 a.m.  
Blogger ian said...

hi sara,

unfortunately, i've just passed through saint john. but i go there about once a year, so i'll send you an email, and we can stay in touch, perhaps meet up the next time i'm there. thanks for the offer of showing me around though!

3:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home