Saturday, February 26

Roots?

First, I should really comment a bit on my last post a bit. The biggest problem with it was that I wrote it when I was dead tired [hadn't slept much the night before, and the reason was explained, as I recall]. As a consequence, I didn't read it over, and I think that I might have scarred the shit out of some people without really meaning to.

Don't get me wrong, what I did was very stupid. But not quite as stupid and crazy as it ended up sounding. The reason that I stuck around was that there were enough people in the group that originally approached me that I didn't expect anything to go horribly wrong too fast. And the reason that I didn't go to a hotel or hostel was that the cost of hotels on Corse are sky high. There are no hostels, and hotels usually start around $75, but getting in at the last minute made getting even one of those unrealistic. And there were other positive signs. I really don't feel like dwelling on this long enough to go into them. In the end, the bar [there were 5 employees total, plus about 10 regulars] all wanted me to stay for at least another month, but I really didn't feel like sticking around. The point is that it wasn't the grand escape that it came across as here. In hindsight, the title of the post didn't help, but I'm too lazy to change it now.

So with that out of the way, there isn't a hell of a lot new. I got fed up with the hostel in Aix-En-Provence, and took off for a town called Nîmes, a bit to the west. The hostel there was a blast, but the town itself was a bit smaller than was to my liking. Something that struck me as being strange was the amount of architecture left over from the Romans. It's bizarre seeing a huge, decrepit collision in the middle of a small French town, surrounded by modern buildings. Rome's done a better job of incorporating their ancient architecture into a more contemporary atmosphere. And of course, there's the question of why the Romans chose Nîmes...

But just as I was preparing to keep going west, I got a call from two businesses in Aix, offering me an interview. So now I'm back in Aix, having done a bit of a circle. I've had both interviews, and already been offered one job. It's in a book store, and it sounds pretty relaxed. The only problem is that it's about 45 minutes from Aix, in Marseille. The reason that this is such a problem is that Marseille is the second biggest city in France, and a little too fast paced for me to feel confortable. The other interviewer won't be able to get back to me till the middle of next week. That job would be much nicer, as it's in Aix, and has a higher salary. I'd be in charge of reception at an English school. The interview itself went quite well, or at least so I thought. So that means that it comes down to the amount of experience I have versus that of the other candidates. But regardless of whether I get the job or not, it looks like I'll be sticking around for a while.

I feel like ranting a bit on various things that I've been reading, but I'm at a fairly high priced internet café, so I'll spare you and cut this short :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... so how do you end up getting those interviews? And how do those people get back to you? Do you have a cell phone?

(cr)Dave.

11:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i'm not very proud of the fact, but yes, i fell off the wagon. i had no choice but to get a cell phone. i was told by several people that there was no way that an employer would take the time to email me, since [no exageration] everyone else on this continent has a cell phone. i blanketed aix with resumés, and got two calls. i still havn't heard the results of the interview in the english school, though...

ian.

8:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home